Whooo doesn’t like owls?
Especially soft squishy owls, knit in one piece using only the knit stitch!
Introducing the family Whoot! They are a close KNIT family!
If you would like an ad free PDF it can be purchased from my Ravelry store.
- Yarn: Fiddlesticks Wren 8ply cotton. Colours: Black, Sky, Tin, Banana, White
- Needles: 3.5mm straight needles
- Notions: Toy Stuffing, tapestry needle Gauge 26sts to 10cm
- St – stitch
- Kk – knit
- K2tog – knit two stitches together
- S1k1psso – Slip one, knit one, pass slip stitch over.
- Cast on 10 sts in banana,
- Knit 22 rows.
- Break yarn, leave foot on needle.
- On same needle as foot one, cast on 10 sts,
- knit 22 rows.
- Break yarn
- Knit in Sky across foot one and foot two.
- Knit 26 rows.
- Break yarn
- Cast on 12 sts, k across body, (20 sts)
- Next cast on 12sts, k across body, k across 12 cast on sts.(44 sts)
- Wing decrease row, s1k1psso, knit to last 2 sts, k2tog Repeat Wind decrease row until 32 sts remain.
- Cast off wings – cast off six sts, knit to end. Repeat this row (20sts)
Head increases – k to last st, kfb (21 sts) Repeat above row until there are 32 sts. Break yarn and join in Tin. Repeat head increasing row until there are 38 sts Knit 2 rows with no increases Head decreases – k to last 2 sts, k2tog. Repeat head decreases until there are 32 sts, break tin and join in sky. Repeat head decreases until there are 20 sts, Break sky.
- Join in tin, knit 10 rows, break tin.
- Join in sky, knit 26 rows.
- Cast off.
White of Eyes (white) Cast on 5 sts
- Row 1 k
- Row 2 and 3 k to last st kfb
- Knit 8 rows
- Row 12 and 13 k2tog, k to end
- Row 14 k Cast off
- Cast on 3 sts
- Knit 6 rows
- Cast off
Beak ( banana)
- Cast on 5 sts
- Row 1 knit
- Row 2, 3 and 4 k to end k2tog.
- Row 5 k2tog, break yarn and finish.
Sewing up and shaping
- On right side, using a mattress stitch. Fold feet in half and sew sides of feet closed.
- Stuff feet and sew closed
- Sew ends of feet to base of back.
- Sew sides of body and head, catching wings leaving a 3 cm gap on one side to stuff.
- Stuff and sew up.
With a length of yarn:
- Gather neck by sewing a running stitch around, pull up and tie. Bury ends in owl.
- Secure a length of yarn in the front middle of neck, sew it up through owl, to centre of top of head, catch top of head and take yarn back down to centre back of neck. Pull to shop head.Secure and bury ends.
- Secure a length of yarn, below ear, take yarn through to opposite ear and secure, pull to shape. Ears should poke up
- Sew whites of eyes into place
- Sew pupils onto white of eyes.
- Sew beak into place.
- Sew scraps of yarn to ‘ears’