If you’re a keen knitter or crocheter, you may be tempted to start building a yarn stash.
It may seem strange that as a yarn shop owner I want to discourage you from over buying yarn! But as someone who cares about you and the world we live in, it makes a lot of sense.
Building a yarn stash may seem like a good idea, but it’s important to consider the cost, space, and how you will store it to prevent infestation by pests.
- Good yarn tends to be expensive – Money that could be used to buy better quality yarn you will use!
- Yarn can take up a lot of space – making it difficult to store and difficult to find the yarn you need when you need it.
- A ‘stash’ is something else that you need to take care of. An added responsibility to those of us already stretched to the limit caring for others.
- A stash limits creativity. A bit like having 52 TV channels and nothing to watch. We get overwhelmed and end up watching/making nothing.
- A stash limits your chance to make regular trips to the local yarn shop to show and telling your latest creation.
- Environmentally it’s not a great idea to have more than you need. Leading to increased production and waste.
- It makes moving house a nightmare.
- Your family will be incredibly grateful if they don’t have to make the decision about what to do with it all when you’re gone!