A tassel is easy to make. They look great decorating the top of a beanie or on the corners of a scarf, shawl or blanket.
They’re also a great use for left over yarn and much easier to make than pompoms!
All you need to make a tassel is:
- About 6 meters of yarn
- Something to wrap the yarn around, I use my hand.
- A tapestry/ wool needle to sew the tassel onto the hat.
- Step 1. Lay the end of the yarn at the bottom edge of your hand and wrap the yarn around your hand. Be generous with the wrapping you want a nice plump tassel.
- Step 2. Cut the yarn at the base of the hand.
- Step 3. Cut 30cms of yarn and inserts it into the middle of the circle of yarn. Tie the yarn firmly at the top. This yarn will be used to attach the tassel to the hat or another item.
- Step 4. Cut another length of yarn, 30cms and wrap it firmly around the circlet of yarn, approximately 1cm under where the tie was attached. Secure this wrapped yarn with a double knot.
- Step 5. Cut the circlet of yarn open at the opposite end from the tie.
- Step 6. Trim the ends of the tassel even!